We are looking for a seasoned Design Program Manager to lead our Platform Design team.
The Platform Design team is responsible for making sure teams have the ability to ship high quality and consistent product experiences that reflect Uber’s experience principles; allowing teams across the organization to easily find and reuse common elements, components, layout/templates, and toolkits so designers don’t waste time reinventing the wheel; harvesting new ideas and vetting them for inclusion in platform standards; and communicating changes and additions to the platform.
The Design Program Manager is a creative problem solver and team leader by nature, and is an expert at creating efficiencies in the design process, improving team communication, and enabling teams to stay focused on delivering amazing experiences.
The role is full time, based in San Francisco, and reports to our Head of Design Operations.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Play a critical role in establishing the goals, roadmap, and operational model for how the Platform team will engage with and support the broader Product Design team.
- Create and maintain single source of truth documentation that communicates the whys and hows of the platform team - both the high level executive summary and executional details.
- Serve as the go-to liaison for the Platform Design team to other product areas.
- Work with design leads to drive the gathering of platform components and new innovations from each business area, vet new components to be incorporated into the platform, and prioritize efforts for componentization.
- Partner with Design Lead to define how work will be executed by the platform team. Provide strategic input on how to detect collisions, remove roadblocks, avoid issues, and mitigate risks
- Own the creation and management of project plans, and implement an effective system of project status tracking.
- Organize the day to day work of designers that are creating and updating platform resources. Balance competing priorities and adjust resources as necessary. As needed, onboard and manage contractors or vendors in executing work.
- Facilitate regular project status and design review meetings. Negotiate trade-offs between competing priorities, document decisions and actions items, and ensure owners follow through on commitments
- Continually seek feedback on how Platform Design team can work more effectively/support the broader Design team. Continuously experiment, test and measure improvements to workflow.
- Evangelize Platform Design team successes and lessons learned. Capture and validate feedback.
- Onboard new hires in how to work with the Platform Design team.
- Define and refine program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 5+ years experience as a project manager, program manager, or producer either in a design consultancy or (preferred) as part of an in-house product design/UX team.
- Experience working with product designers, design managers, product managers, and engineers through the product development lifecycle to ship consumer facing products.
- Experience creating lean and scalable workflows and implementing process improvements
- Proficiency with project management and asset management tools (e.g., JIRA, Asana, Basecamp, Lucidchart, Box, Google Drive, etc).
- Clear and effective written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Strong analytical ability, conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Superior organizational, time management, and prioritization skills
- Highly productive and ability to execute with limited direction. Initiative to solve problems big and small.
- Experience writing creative briefs and scopes of work, creating and managing budgets