Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the team
The uMetal team provides the on-demand metal service to keep Uber’s innovation running. uMetal builds the base layer of compute resources for developers, riders, drivers, and self-driving cars rely on every day. Supporting billions of rides and fast-forwarding to the future of self-driving cars, Uber’s data center team has some of the most interesting challenges around.
What you’ll do
- Provide design of all layer 1 infrastructure within data center white space
- Optimize physical arrangement of compute, storage, and networking within racks, rooms, and buildings
- Set standards for racks, cabling systems, power distribution, cable management, and airflow management
- Optimize hardware, power, and cabling layout in each rack design for scale
- Evaluate, select, and help to build tools used to automate data center management
- Drive innovation in the data center at Uber as well as across the industry
What you’ll need
- BS or MS Strongly preferred
- 7+ years relevant data center experience
- Strong communication, organization, and project management skills
- Ability to self-serve, investigate, and execute with minimal instruction
- Deep domain experience and best practices in
- Power - three-phase, conditioning, and distribution from utility to chip
- Cooling - theory, methods, efficiency
- Networking - basics of all layers plus cabling, optics, support infrastructure
- Space - Rack and floor plan optimization
- Software - monitoring protocols, data analysis, reporting
Bonus points if (optional)
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or an Operations discipline
- Proficiency with CAD or other engineering tools
- Ground floor opportunity with the team
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, eight paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.