An Uber engineering leader is seeking a strong and highly efficient Technical Program and Team Operations Manager to partner with them and their multiple teams on operational and program management planning, drive, and efficiency. This leader is staunchly independent, and is looking for a strong and self-directed senior partner to strategize with them 3 hours a week and then run with a book of work. A Program and Operations Manager with a strong voice and alternate perspectives will be valued as a highly visible partner. Executive Assistance is already in place for shared support. This is a strong career move with high impact for a detail-oriented technical leader obsessed with operational efficiency. Chief of Staff is one likely career path.
About the 460+ person Business Infrastructure engineering organization you would be working with:
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life. We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected at a global scale, energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
We are at a terrific inflection point of brand recognition, nuclear growth, high impact opportunities, and pre-IPO equity. We are also embarking upon amazing organizational transformation which makes it an exciting time here with an inspiring leadership team.
About The Role:
- Assume all operational functions for a large (460+ ppl) engineering organization.
- Conduct quarterly business operations reviews and planning.
- Help design drive shared OKR’s across engineering groups.
- Provide program management for various management projects, such as employee training; employee transfer policy; organizational overview and headcount planning; on-call guidelines and practices.
- Conduct financial budget planning across our teams in conjunction with the Finance team. Oversee expenses, vendor, and office space management across multiple locations.
- Conduct organizational health check analyses, such as manager-to-engineer ratio, hiring priorities, attrition, training needs. Gather, interpret, and action business and org metrics.
- Ensure information propagates through every part of the org via newsletter assistance, all-comms, meeting presentations, intranet, etc.
- Support cohesion of Product and Engineering teams, fostering alignment on common goals across Business and Engineering. Collaborate with other engineering organizations.
- Organize and facilitate a crisp agenda for our staff and extended staff meetings.
- Help with our Engineering Manager coaching and training series.
- Facilitate bi-annual performance review process.
- Shepherd company and team cultural initiatives.
- Work closely with Recruiting, Finance, HR, and other operational functions to ensure our org is functioning efficiently.
- Consistently embody Optimistic Leadership. The Programs and Operations Manager must look around at the sea of Uber’s execution challenges and see them as a great puzzle to be solved. The P&O Manager is not the type to complain or commiserate or talk about how everything is “broken;” rather, s/he must always be in solution mode, continually striving to make Uber better, stronger, faster. S/he must also be naturally enthusiastic to the point that they infect others, which ups everyone’s game!
What You’ll Need:
- BSCS degree. Deep technical knowledge and immediate credibility with a room of software engineers and architects.
- Some management experience in program or engineering.
- A mix of startup (or small) and large company experience.
- Relevant experience with a large org - #200+ people.
- 10 to 15 years of relevant work experience - some years in hands-on software engineering.
- PLATFORM engineering experience and architectural understanding required. Knowledge of the verticals supported by a platform. Product engineering also highly relevant.
- Critical: Highly detail-oriented - the P&O Manager owns the details. This role requires an unusual degree of attention to detail.
- Critical: Excellent writing skills. Excellent presentation skills. Creative and effective communications experience.
- Strong product operator profile: We need a leader who is great at creating structure, organization, and (lightweight) development process and getting everyone aligned with them. Strong prioritization skills and discipline are parts of this.
- Exceptional and demonstrated business and product judgment. Although the role has heavy administrative and operational components, the P&O Manager needs to have strong independent product and business judgment, and be exceptional at articulating company, business, product, and initiative value.
- Advanced technical degrees are not required, but can make a candidate more interesting. Additionally, an MS or Ph.D. in economics or statistics would add leveragable analytical and business depth.
- Passion for Uber - our mission, products, partners, and employees! Uber is a truly exceptional group of people solving tangible problems for real people with very novel and far-reaching approaches.