We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the women and men who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen! Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
About the team
The uMetal team provides the on-demand metal service to keep Uber’s innovation running. uMetal builds the base layer of compute resources for developers, riders, drivers, and self-driving cars rely on every day. Supporting billions of rides and fast-forwarding to the future of self-driving cars, Uber’s data center team has some of the most interesting challenges around.
What you’ll do
- Manage installations, maintenance, and day-to-day operations of all systems at all of Uber’s western region data centers, POPs, and production network closets
- Act as primary technical and operational lead for data center customers
- Develop understanding of Uber’s core business, the business function of the data center, and the services operating there
- Manage technical and operational incidents, including the implementation of emergency response procedures, resource coordination, customer communication, root-cause analysis, and post event remediation
- Develop and manage the working relationship between Uber and colo providers
- Coordination and oversight of maintenances and repairs by vendors/contractors
- Create and oversee policies and procedures to meet industry best practices and to meet SLAs
- Manage and configure DCIM tools to monitor, analyze, and report,
- Identify trends and analyze risks to communicate impact to data center operations
- Manage a team of outsourced data center technicians
- Ensure facilities are secured by working with colo partners and managing processes and data around physical access
- Drive innovation in the data center at Uber as well as across the industry
What you’ll need
- BS or MS Degree in engineering, computer science, or an operations discipline strongly preferred
- 10+ years relevant data center experience
- CNet CDCMP Certification
- Strong communication, organization, and management skills
- Ability to self-serve, investigate, and execute with minimal instruction
- Proven experience in effectively manage facilities, systems, and large budgets, leading data center operations teams in a hyper-scale mission critical environment
- Strong crisis management, problem solving skills, and ability to work under pressure
- Knowledge of Building Monitoring Systems, CAD, and other facilities management and engineering tools
- Ability to work flexible hours and be accessible 24x7x365.
- Deep domain experience and best practices in
- Power - switchgear, distribution systems, UPS, emergency standby generation
- Cooling - theory, methods, efficiency
- Networking - L1 cabling, optics, support infrastructure, structured cabling systems, connectivity standards
- Space - Rack and floor plan capacity planning
- Software - monitoring protocols, data analysis, reporting
- Understanding of industry standards ANSI/TIA 942, ISO 27001, ASHRAE TC9.9/90.4, NEC, etc.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.